Saturday, June 15, 2019

Art-4-Art, Lyons Regional Library, June 2019

Title: "To Each His Own"
Artist: Damaris O'Trand
June 15, 2019
Lyons Regional Library
"To Each His Own" #1 of 22 in series




Process, Media, Technique

I was given samples of Maruca material several months ago. Then I saw prayer flags that had been installed at the Lyons Memorial Labyrinth and was reminded of my favorite poem by Charlie M. I painted flags with water colors, attached squares of Maruca material to the front with glue dots, connected two ATC's with a brad, and covered the brad with art stickers shaped like flags, added a dab of gold water color to the prayer flags, and made a series of 22 cards while teaching my grand nieces (ages 12, 12, 13, and 14) how to make ATC's. Under the material on the front of the card, I numbered the series using pens given to me by my sister. My nieces were so enthusiastic about making ATC's that all four of them have decided to come to their first ATC Swap in Lyons, Colorado at the Lyons Regional Library, on June 15, 2019.

The title of the card is a short-hand phrase that my great-grandmother used to say when encouraging her daughters (my Grandmother Lula and Great Aunt Clifftonia) not to pay attention to what other people think. Of course, our mother, Idabelle, repeated the phrase to her own daughters (my sister and me) as we were growing up. The full phrase is, "To each his own," said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment